• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Larger birds and companions

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’ve previously had two Red tailed black cockatoos- male and female…and even after a year they just…didn’t like each other.
Even when in a giant aviary they just avoided each other.
I admit the guilt of having a single bird also really drove me to getting the second and it just isn’t what made either of them happy.

never forced to be close or share small space…would actively fly away from each other.
I guess that’s a hard risk to take.
I also feel larger birds like cockatoos and macaws get much more possessive of their human than a budgie or cockatiel who seem generally fairly happy to enjoy the company of their human with their birdie friends. It can also become a real safety risk to both bird and human when that occurs

Imprinting on humans during hand raising also obviously has a big role in this of if the bird really knows how to be a bird/interact with other birds, too.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m happy to see someone with big birds acknowledging the impact of imprinting. I think it’s glossed over a lot.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I have 1 Pionus and 3 rescue and rehome Amazons. My Orange-winged Amazon, Ollie, who tragically passed away 3 years ago was eventually very good friends with my Pionus for the last year of his life (it took nine years of Ollie offering the beak of friendship and getting rejected before being finally accepted). Ollie was on fairly good terms with everybirdie, but not so much Bobbie in the end. The others don’t really get along but they all have their separate places around the room/house/aviary. Sometimes there are arguments if two birds land in the same place. I would never have a single bird now having experienced multiple. Hope that helps.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This is an interesting thread. I think Shez summed it up really well. I actually kinda have always intended to get Q a friend... NOT anytime soon. It's a massive step with so many unpredictable outcomes.
Following along with this thread for now :)
I agree, it is harder with larger birds if they don't hit it off , it's a lot bigger commitment and harder to juggle the needs of 2 . Especially needy species like a cockatoo. While all species need attention and activities and time out of the cage , some species it just is harder to meet those needs ..and if they didn't get along, that's a lot . A lot more than 2 GCC , or even 2 Amazon, or other species, if the 2 don't get along.

I also think it is better for the parrots to have a same species friend , and I believe some countries are implementing that (?) If it was accepted from the get go , that these intelligent and highly social creatures should not be kept solo , and were raised with their clutch mates, kept in same sex groups before the homes and effort and acknowledgment of buddies are rehomed together.
I hope their is movement towards normalizing these highly intelligent , social flock species shouldn't be kept solo.

We recognize and accept this in less intelligent heard or group species. Horses are expensive and a huge commitment, and it's well known they need a pasture buddy , or housed around other horses

I think one reason this isn't already common practice, is the inconvenience to us humans.
Because there is evidence in their nature and how they evolved, and evidence of all the behavior issues they suffer in captivity. We changed how and what is acceptable zoo animal collections , what is acceptable for other domestic creatures.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
My larger birds are two of the same genus being both Amazons, both males. Introduced to each other both as juveniles within 2 years of each other. Today, two pals. I can and can't say bonded, but preening pals. So the possibility is there that they need to always stay together.

My Cockatoo female is a singular bird and I'm her Person. She doesn't care for the Amazons and cannot be with one another she isn't nice at all. Small birds are an absolute no, as are any birds with her.

Years ago my two Amazons had their parotlet buddy. They would climb all over his cage when out they never bothered him.

The mix in sizes to me sometimes can be too great of a difference, and just something I'd never do. Dust is another issue. The Cockatoo is just too powdery to be housed with the Amazons.

My take on species kept, two of the same if possible to allow them the way they'd be in nature, never alone.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
My larger birds are two of the same genus being both Amazons, both males. Introduced to each other both as juveniles within 2 years of each other. Today, two pals. I can and can't say bonded, but preening pals. So the possibility is there that they need to always stay together.

My Cockatoo female is a singular bird and I'm her Person. She doesn't care for the Amazons and cannot be with one another she isn't nice at all. Small birds are an absolute no, as are any birds with her.

Years ago my two Amazons had their patrolled buddy. They would climb all over his cage when out they never bothered him.

The mix in sizes to me sometimes can be too great of a difference, and just something I'd never do. Dust is another issue. The Cockatoo is just too powdery to be housed with the Amazons.

My take on species kept, two of the same if possible to allow them the way they'd be in nature, never alone.
I thought this thread was asking about keeping 2 of the same species larger parrot s? Nit just trying to match friends with other species of parrots?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I thought this thread was asking about keeping 2 of the same species larger parrot s? Nit just trying to match friends with other species of parrots?
Claire does have two of the same species, Kazoo and Hoosier. She said they are friends and seem to benefit from having each other. Her cockatoo Sophie is kept separately.
Her thoughts on the topic;
----------------------
I also think it is better for the parrots to have a same species friend ,
I hope their is movement towards normalizing these highly intelligent , social flock species shouldn't be kept solo.
I think I could flip flop back and forth on this all day long.
I agree that they should have companionship from their own kind... but I also know how difficult that can be to acheive. Some birds reject friends, and want to be alone, or worse they will attack or even kill other birds introduced. And if everyone brings home a buddy for their bigger birds today, imagine how many birds will end up in shelters after the friendship didn't spark and the owners can't deal with birds fighting, attacking, or self mutilating because of the stress.
In an ideal world, all birds would have a bird buddy of same or similar species.... but the reality is the world isn't perfect.
This is coming from someone who ended up with 6 birds looking for a buddy for their single bird :blink: luckily for me and my birds, I have smaller birds and could keep all of the birds where the relationship with my first bird didn't work out.

I think one reason this isn't already common practice, is the inconvenience to us humans.
There is always the case of a bird getting stressed by a newcomer and selfmutilating. The owner may sadly be forced to relinquish one bird to a shelter to benefit the birds.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Claire does have two of the same species, Kazoo and Hoosier. She said they are friends and seem to benefit from having each other. Her cockatoo Sophie is kept separately.

----------------------

I agree that they should have companionship from their own kind... but I also know how difficult that can be to acheive. Some birds reject friends, and want to be alone, or worse they will attack or even kill other birds introduced. And if everyone brings home a buddy for their bigger birds today, imagine how many birds will end up in shelters after the friendship didn't spark and the owners can't deal with birds fighting, attacking, or self mutilating because of the stress.
In an ideal world, all birds would have a bird buddy of same or similar species.... but the reality is the world isn't perfect.
This is coming from someone who ended up with 6 birds looking for a buddy for their single bird :blink: luckily for me and my birds, I have smaller birds and could keep all of the birds where the relationship with my first bird didn't work out.

There is always the case of a bird getting stressed by a newcomer and selfmutilating. The owner may sadly be forced to relinquish one bird to a shelter to benefit the birds.
I would agree with this having to rehome mango and apple pie because of stress they caused pico and he started selfmutilating due to a decision I made which I will never forgive myself for and I don’t know if this contributed to his death
But that being said seeing remi and pip together seeing apple pie and mango together and seeing indie pine for a friend I do also agree with @Pixiebeak in the sense that if it does work out there’s nothing like having a same species friend and this is why I chose to get pip hoping at the time pico and indie remi and pip but things don’t always work out way we want
I think it’s a very hard question to answer as everyone situations different every birds different but then on other hand you don’t know until you try

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

----------------------

In my dream world reply, I mentioned changing how they start off life and are raised and housed , and starting off from get go being sold with a friend. Just a thought on how things might be changed to accommodate, and still a thought in progress.

As for those with one already an adult , who has lived solo their whole lives and may have even been hand raised as a solo chick in isolation from other parrots ,it's definitely more complex. Just like solo primates , elephants, and others. In settings with a lot of options , knowledge, rehabilitation is usually possible. For us there are certainly more challenges. In parrot rescue, again they have more options for individuals to choose who they click with and usually more space or aviary, and he e success with most of older bird who have lived solo.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know of a number of people who have multiple big birds. Some are bonded pairs, some are not. The rescue I help with currently has 2 female greys up for adoption. They've been buddies their whole lives and have to be adopted together. We have a pair of goffins right now too that have to be adopted together. Not that long ago, had a pair of Amazons and Umbrellas. I know a woman that keeps a small "flock" of Amazons and another who used to have a "flock" of greys. I also know a woman who has a number of various kinds of cockatoos. And I have a friend who has 2 macaws and 2 cockatoos. I think for most people it's a question of space, time, and expense. You need a lot of room for multiple big birds.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@sunnysmom
And a spouse that will go along with it!

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
I think the key is if the bird is socialized with others. Many handfed, longterm solo birds end up not knowing how to interact. I would say it is "ideal" to have at least a pair, but it is not always how reality goes. I also think there is a definite fear of serious injury or death with the large species, I've heard cockatoos called mate killers, etc.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If many individuals of a particular parent raised species/group of species can’t have a conspecific buddy, then I’d say they’re unsuitable for captivity.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A couple with an older severe macaw adopted a 15-year-old severe macaw and a blue crown conure from the store. The severe and blue crown were already friends but did not share a cage at the store. Once they were home the older bird accepted the other two as companions within a few days. Due to the older severe having a low-fat diet, they don't let them eat together, but they perch and nap together during the day without any issues.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I think the key is if the bird is socialized with others. Many handfed, longterm solo birds end up not knowing how to interact. I would say it is "ideal" to have at least a pair, but it is not always how reality goes. I also think there is a definite fear of serious injury or death with the large species, I've heard cockatoos called mate killers, etc.
GCC have killed it harned each other too

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
None of our 3 parrots, B&G Macaw, U2, CAG, get along. They do share our aviary (6'x12') in spring/summer for 4-6 hours a day & stay away from each other most of the time. On rare occasions we've had to break them up. Generally they have certain parts of the aviary, perches, swings, toys, etc., they prefer. Sometimes they chase each other around, but have never attacked each other. Inside they watch each other, talk back & forth, etc. We keep them separated inside.

Large parrots take up a lot of space & having 3 large cages in our house uses up a lot room space. We got rid of some furniture & all my large tropical plants to fit the cages in. So cost wise having 2 or more of the same species of large parrots can get pretty expensive for cages, perches, toys & food. In hind site if I could turn the clock back I'd have 2 B&G macaws & no U2 or CAG. Major reason....the U2 & CAG make a ton of dust. CAG's aren't usually hands on birds. U2's are too emotional/hormonal/needy. Where I find the B&G macaws are more hands on, less dust, etc.

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
GCC have killed it harned each other too
yes, i would say almost any parrot species can cause severe harm to others of its species. but it is a lot easier for a cockatoo or a macaw to do serious and irreversible damage