• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Larger birds and companions

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I see cockatiels, conures, budgies, quakers, etc all having a same-species flock mate. But you don’t often see larger species with a buddy. Occasionally you do, but it’s not often.

Why is that? Is it a matter of space for people? Time and money? Behavior issues?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Very good questions I always wonder this too

@Sarah13 ive seen you have a few larger species macaws how do yours get along ?

@JLcribber i really hope this isn’t insensitive and please don’t answer if it is and i apologise with all my heart if you find it so but I remember your gorgeous calendar photo of your two cockatoo

I can’t think of anyone else who as more than one larger species but it’s a very interesting question

I wonder what it’s like adding a larger species trying to find a friend it was a scary choice to make adding lovebirds and green cheeks

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm guessing money, space and differences in thoughts on parrot keeping in the past .

@Parutti volunteers at a rescue with a number of cockatoos, be interested in hearing her thoughts as well

I watched a heartbreaking cockatoo rescue (?) Documentary (?) Sorry I don't remember exactly...one if the storyline was a female cockatoo and her plucking and screaming and difficulty sharing a life with humans and they felt they should do more , and her difficulty in integration with the cockatoos who could live together in a more flock like setting, after her life as a solo bird fir so long , and then her eventual friendship and bond with another

Anyway, interesting topic , interested in seeing what all think

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I really hadn't planned to add a second parrot when Scooter the CAG's former owner asked me to take her in. She and Ralph never became best friends. They accepted and tolerated each other and were interested in each other. Scooter was really more interested in Ralph than he was in her. They would chatter back and forth but never were out of their cages at the same time. That's my only experience with having parrots of two different types living in the same space.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
My Walter was never interested in any other birds. He preferred to be the Prima Dona of the place. I did watch a cockatoo and another African Gray for a couple of weeks but he wasn't really interested in the Nanday that I owned for almost a year. I think that the cost and time involved along with the space (for those huge cages) might be part of the reason. For me, it just seemed like no matter what I tried, Walter wasn't interested (I personally think that he thought of himself as a human)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret and MC lived in the same house. I'm pretty sure that at one time they might have been in the same cage by mistake (relative always liked to "raise" things and later remarked to me how you couldn't tell the sex of a parrot).

In my house they were in separate cages, usually across the floor from each other. They sang opera together (so cool).... one would stop and the other would sing on. One day Secret went on a walk-about and I got her just before she could crawl up to MC who was dangling on a chain. MC had a look in his face like WHAT???

I was scared they could hurt each other so never let them close.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
For many people I think it might be a desire to have their bird talk & bond with them. Space is definitely a factor too.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Big gamble buying such a large and often quite an expensive bird, then ethics and morals are tested and larger harder and scarier decisions need to be made.
It really is rather easy housing another budgie if I get a mate for Squeak and it does not work out- 2 little flight cages, cheap enough to get a second set of everything budgie sized toys food accessories etc, the noise is increased but the change in volume or the noise factor from 2 little birds is extremely different to the noise factor of 2 macs or 2 cockies, like seriously I could have ten budgies (not ever going to happen by the way!) in my house and they still could not make the neighbours hear them outside where as one mac is loud enough to be heard inside the houses four doors away so two of them going off less often than budgies do is still possibly way too often for neighbours to stay happy and then there are the added costs Budgie cage maybe $200 or less, mac cage over $1k, budgie perches $7 each- mac perch $30 each, 2 mac perches and toys are quite a fair bit more than five new budgie perches, toys and a bag of feed lol, then we have all the other questions... will the new and the existing birds get along? will it change the relationship owner currently has with known bird? will it bring a positive or make a negative for the current bird? A negative reaction from Squeak is simple to deal with even if he plays up and gets aggressive- the same cannot be said for a negative reaction from a mac or 2.

There is more but that is some of the basic stuff that comes to my mind right now. Also as we discussed last night... I could not bring another mac home even if I wanted to as I ended up with a 2nd large bird I had not actually planned on and in my area you can only get a permit to have 2 large birds at each house so unless I disguise Birdie as a chook (hehehe) I can't even entertain the thought of giving either Burt or Birdie a mate.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Big gamble buying such a large and often quite an expensive bird, then ethics and morals are tested and larger harder and scarier decisions need to be made.
It really is rather easy housing another budgie if I get a mate for Squeak and it does not work out- 2 little flight cages, cheap enough to get a second set of everything budgie sized toys food accessories etc, the noise is increased but the change in volume or the noise factor from 2 little birds is extremely different to the noise factor of 2 macs or 2 cockies, like seriously I could have ten budgies (not ever going to happen by the way!) in my house and they still could not make the neighbours hear them outside where as one mac is loud enough to be heard inside the houses four doors away so two of them going off less often than budgies do is still possibly way too often for neighbours to stay happy and then there are the added costs Budgie cage maybe $200 or less, mac cage over $1k, budgie perches $7 each- mac perch $30 each, 2 mac perches and toys are quite a fair bit more than five new budgie perches, toys and a bag of feed lol, then we have all the other questions... will the new and the existing birds get along? will it change the relationship owner currently has with known bird? will it bring a positive or make a negative for the current bird? A negative reaction from Squeak is simple to deal with even if he plays up and gets aggressive- the same cannot be said for a negative reaction from a mac or 2.

There is more but that is some of the basic stuff that comes to my mind right now. Also as we discussed last night... I could not bring another mac home even if I wanted to as I ended up with a 2nd large bird I had not actually planned on and in my area you can only get a permit to have 2 large birds at each house so unless I disguise Birdie as a chook (hehehe) I can't even entertain the thought of giving either Burt or Birdie a mate.
Would you want a friend for either though if you could chose ? Sorry bring very nosey here

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It’s just something that made me curious. Of the larger bird species I’ve seen people keep two (or more) macaws, but I can’t remember seeing two greys/amazons/cockatoos, etc.

I can understand wanting to keep the bond between human and then initial bird, as well as ethics and morals, but as most birds are flock creatures by nature wouldn’t having a friend be morally and ethically better for the bird itself?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
This is an interesting thread. I think Shez summed it up really well. I actually kinda have always intended to get Q a friend... NOT anytime soon. It's a massive step with so many unpredictable outcomes.
Following along with this thread for now :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
This is an interesting thread. I think Shez summed it up really well. I actually kinda have always intended to get Q a friend... NOT anytime soon. It's a massive step with so many unpredictable outcomes.
Following along with this thread for now :)
I would be really interested in the outcome if you do!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I can’t think of anyone else who as more than one larger species but it’s a very interesting question
:blink:
@aooratrix @Macawnutz @Danita There's quite a lot of members who have multiple larger species, maybe not two of the same, but two of the same genus yes.

but I can’t remember seeing two greys/amazons/cockatoos, etc.
Mary Lynn had two GW macaws at the same time for years
@faislaq has two 'Toos and two Macs
@Greylady1966 has two amazons
@Fuzzy
@Love My Zons
@ncGreyBirdLady

Someone already tagged John, he had two rescued cockatoos and also a handful of budgies so they all had buddies too.
There was a time when @Icey had two B&Gs.

I agree with the post by Shez as to why we see more pairs or groups of smaller birds compared to larger birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
There's quite a lot of members who have multiple larger species
I reply to most folks first posts on Avian Avenue so I read what birds they have, but I can only recall the more active members off the top of my head.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I would be really interested in the outcome if you do!
That'd be years in the future if it happens! I dont think Q has even hit maturity yet :confused:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
:blink:
@aooratrix @Macawnutz @Danita There's quite a lot of members who have multiple larger species, maybe not two of the same, but two of the same genus yes.

Mary Lynn had two GW macaws at the same time for years
@faislaq has two 'Toos and two Macs
@Greylady1966 has two amazons
@Fuzzy
@Love My Zons
@ncGreyBirdLady

Someone already tagged John, he had two rescued cockatoos and also a handful of budgies so they all had buddies too.
There was a time when @Icey had two B&Gs.

I agree with the post by Shez as to why we see more pairs or groups of smaller birds compared to larger birds.
I need these members to post more :roflmao::rofl: I guess I haven’t been here long enough to remember what everyone has.

There's quite a lot of members who have multiple larger species, maybe not two of the same, but two of the same genus yes
It’s really the two of the same that I’m curious about. We see a lot mentioned of birds being flock creatures, but don’t see a lot of same-species flocks of larger ones. I’m just super curious about the dynamic of how it works (or doesn’t) and why it’s not as common.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I need these members to post more :roflmao::rofl: I guess I haven’t been here long enough to remember what everyone has.

It’s really the two of the same that I’m curious about. We see a lot mentioned of birds being flock creatures, but don’t see a lot of same-species flocks of larger ones. I’m just super curious about the dynamic of how it works (or doesn’t) and why it’s not as common.
I know I struggle to remember who as what I just remember Johns gorgeous photo