• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alright, here's the thing...

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@Xoetix - Philly suburbs here. I promise Philly is not a dangerous hellhole. Do you want to PM me the exact city? I have been living in and outside of Philadelphia for 23 years now.
It’s Lansdale? Does that help?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
So what about the inbetween scenarios? What do you think you can cope with, and what are your "nope, can't do it" situations? Are there any dealbreakers? What kinds of behaviours are you willing to work with? What kinds of interactions with Isadora are you willing to live with, and where do you draw the line? What kinds of interactions with you, your kids and your partner are you willing to live with, and where do you draw the line? Basically, what are your criteria for it working out vs not working?
Unfortunately I’m not sure how to answer, beyond obvious scenarios. Screaming I can handle, I’ll take some bites, but if he’s an attacker bird I can’t do that. Beyond that, not having gone through anything yet, I don’t really know where my lines are.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Megan, what does your heart say? Deep down in your gut what is there? It's alot of responsibility adding another cockatoo to the mix. Plus you have littles to worry about both birds and your son.
I would gladly take it but living in apartment I know better because I use volunteer with rescues. Toos are not apartment birds period. Missy the U2 at clinic could be silence and burst into ear bleeding loud in seconds. Even having her within the clinic at times was obnoxious. You couldn't hear yourself think. And I was mostly there on non vet weekends. If you could keep her occupied with toys, foraging treats and her puzzles she was pretty sweet.
I wish I had place where I could take in parrots cuz I would do it in heartbeat. But at last I don't have that. Bebe is most likely my last bird.
Everyone has to think of what is best for themselves. But as bird owners we have consider what is best for our feathered friends.

ps I would do it.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, Meghan is all set for a new flock member! But truly speaking, I'm bit worried, will you get enough time for yourself? Talking about us, we will be delighted to watch new videos :p.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It’s not set in stone still :roflmao: I’ve got about 3 weeks to really decide - the owner is out of town until early May. I do want to do it, I’m just taking the time to really think it through.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Ooooh! Exciting, but nerve-racking for sure.
Just make sure you also think of yourself here, two cockatoos, plus other birds, is a lot of work. Knowing you, you'll probably make it work- but think about it!
It sounds like the pros outweigh the cons here honestly, and if he's just a bit too much to fit in with you and your flock, rehoming is always an option.

If you do decide to go ahead with it, make sure to take someone with you, let people know where you've gone...juuust in case.;)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I did find out something kind of weird. The rescue that I would rehome Sam too if it didn’t work out is called Phoenix Landing. Apparently the current owners rehomed a M2 to Phoenix landing back in 2006, but don’t like the way that the rehoming was handled. It’s giving me the impression that they would prefer. I not use the landing if things don’t work out with Sam, but as that is the nearest and most legitimate rescue to me, I would be hesitant to take him somewhere else.

there are other rescues that I could go to, but I really like this one as they require classes and time spent with the bird before they adopt anything out, not to mention that it was back in 2006 shortly after Phoenix Landing started. Any idea on how to handle this?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Phoenix Landing is one of the better ones, and I also love their focus on education. Anyone taking in a 'too will need it.
I think if they surrender the bird to you, then it is your decision.
You could tell them it will be Phoenix Landing or else you will give the bird back to them. Two choices. Amen.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Phoenix Landing is one of the better ones, and I also love their focus on education. Anyone taking in a 'too will need it.
I think if they surrender the bird to you, then it is your decision.
You could tell them it will be Phoenix Landing or else you will give the bird back to them. Two choices. Amen.
That’s essentially what I ended up telling them

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I seem to jinx myself every time I have an empty cage and I am absolutely sure nothing is going in it…
You could always put a plant in..... :peek1: