• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alright, here's the thing...

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
From one mom with lots of animals to another, I would ask your kid. I know he’s young but I would still have a conversation with him. And your partner. And if they’re not both all in, as long as you live together, I would wait.
He’s 5, but developmentally a little closer to 3, so unfortunately he won’t know how to answer. My partner is, shockingly, on board.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Consider "Sam" is male. Will having a male trigger Isadora to become hormonal, lay eggs? Possibly.

Philly? OMG I'd never go near Philly. If you go make sure it's daylight. Traffic is terrible, gangs, shootings etc. If you go do not be there after dark.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my gosh that is phenomenal of you! They’re right outside Philadelphia is that far from you?
Shoot. It's the other side of the state. Sorry. There is a really good rescue near there though if things don't work out.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Consider "Sam" is male. Will having a male trigger Isadora to become hormonal, lay eggs? Possibly.

Philly? OMG I'd never go near Philly. If you go make sure it's daylight. Traffic is terrible, gangs, shootings etc. If you go do not be there after dark.
Oh my goodness I think you should meet him somewhere public out of Philly @Xoetix and not on your own

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

Oh my goodness I think you should meet him somewhere public out of Philly @Xoetix and not on your own
That’s my hope, is to meet halfway and in public

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
I say.. do it!! But I am an enabler ;)
Best case scenario, Isadora has a companion, worst case scenario, you give a cockatoo in need a soft place to land, even if you aren't the best fit forever :)

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been asked to take birds before and turned them down, and then with Opie it just felt right. And he's been so good for Cotton!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I should be more active around here, another 'too? Wow :lol:
I have nothing to add, just want to follow along and see how this goes. I'm sure you'll make the right choice in the end :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I should be more active around here, another 'too? Wow :lol:
I have nothing to add, just want to follow along and see how this goes. I'm sure you'll make the right choice in the end :)
Members adding birds left and right! :pinklol2: myself included ;)

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Members adding birds left and right! :pinklol2: myself included ;)
Yes, I have noticed a few! I do not know if I'm up to date with everyone though

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Oh my gosh that is phenomenal of you! They’re right outside Philadelphia is that far from you?
I have extended family going to college in Philly, she and maybe a roommate or friend might be interested if you just want safety in numbers.
She and her roommate do not have their own car however. They do know the best places to get cheesesteaks though.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don't know if it has been said already, but also consider what happens when folks find out you took this bird in. You may see an influx of others wanting to relinquish their birds to you. Great homes are hard to come by.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don't know if it has been said already, but also consider what happens when folks find out you took this bird in. You may see an influx of others wanting to relinquish their birds to you. Great homes are hard to come by.
oh it happened a ton when I kept reptiles. I ended up with a wild sort of reptile zoo. Birds are easier to say no to - I’ve already said no to a number of birds that (like @Mizzely said) would be fun to have but I just cannot do it. This is the first one I’ve had come to me and have really considered.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
That’s my hope, is to meet halfway and in public
Check with the police departments near where you are going. They sometimes have "safe" places where you can make the change. The other option may be the birds current vet. Maybe they can make a vet appointment for the bird and you can ask the vet, meet the bird in a safe location and get all the vet records all in one.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would want to think about various scenarios and what you would do in them.

Obviously, the best case scenario is that Sam is a sweetheart, immediately settles in, and gets on with Isadora, you and your family.

The worst case scenario is that he's a hormonal mature male who poses a danger to your other birds and your family. And you've thought about that: he would go to a good rescue who would match him with someone better able to meet his needs.

So what about the inbetween scenarios? What do you think you can cope with, and what are your "nope, can't do it" situations? Are there any dealbreakers? What kinds of behaviours are you willing to work with? What kinds of interactions with Isadora are you willing to live with, and where do you draw the line? What kinds of interactions with you, your kids and your partner are you willing to live with, and where do you draw the line? Basically, what are your criteria for it working out vs not working?

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would go for it, you pretty much have answered in the positive, most if not all the questions everyone comes up with and you seem mentally/emotionally ready to bring him home.

he is definitly a male? Decent health according to what you have said, a few issues, but hey don’t we all!

my next question is a) would the owner be willing to take him to a neutral place, not always easy with a bird that size, and b) how are you going to get him home with that size cage, etc. do you have a van or something bigger to accommodate the cage, as assuming it would happen the day of the meet.

and one last thing….when he is home we need ton of photos!!!

all this too say, go for it.