• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I spotted this family of wild turkeys out in the country today & pulled off the road to photograph them! They blend in remarkably well. :)

IMG_1739.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Yesterday evening my yard was very active. I saw a rabbit, some cardinals, robin's, sparrows, a blue jaw, and some black birds. Not sure what type of black birds. Could be crows, grackles, or starlings. I have seen all of the above nearby. It was too dark to get even halfway decent pictures. It was after dusk but our neighbor has a very bright security light so they are active a little later than the usual.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you download the free Merlin app from Cornell, it’ll tell you what species you have!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
If you download the free Merlin app from Cornell, it’ll tell you what species you have!
Unfortunately it was dark enough that I couldn't tell if it had iridescent feathers like a grackle, or speckles like our local starlings or all black like a crow. Low light in shadows and not making noise means very hard to determine. I am familiar with all 3 but simply couldn't see well enough to identify. This was about 10pm.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I use it all the time! And, as soon as I put out the hummingbird feeders I played the sounds of the ruby throated hummingbird (All About Birds, also a Cornell site) to call them. Took about two minutes for the first one to arrive!

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I've got a caterpillar that I caught in September. Two days later she disappeared into the soil of the habitat I put her in. I got her identified as an Orange Tipped Oakworm Moth caterpillar. These guys bury themselves in the soil, "spin" their cocoon, spend the winter underground, then emerge, as moths, when it gets warm again. Well, I didn't think she had cocooned. I kinda thought she maybe just died as I've been seeing butterflies everywhere and nothing from her. So, I went to clean out the habitat. I dumped it out and lo and behold, there was the pupa! I figured I had killed it then, or at least badly messed up it's morph. I did a little more research and found out they can stay in their cocoon for up to 10 months. So I thought I'd give her a chance and redid the habitat. This was about a month ago. Yesterday I thought I saw slight movement of the pupa. Told myself I was imagining it. This afternoon I definitely saw movement! We may have an emergence through the night! Following is the picture I took of the caterpillar the day I found it. A picture of the pupa today. And a picture of what the emerged moth should look like. 1714175021978.jpg
1714178287716.jpg Screenshot_20240426_203939_Chrome.jpg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When my late husband and I first moved here, we had a nesting pair of Canadian Geese in our yard (the house is on a pond). He called them Alfonso and Esmerelda. That was almost 15 years ago. This afternoon there is a pair of geese grazing in the back yard!
IMG_8385.jpeg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
When my late husband and I first moved here, we had a nesting pair of Canadian Geese in our yard (the house is on a pond). He called them Alfonso and Esmerelda. That was almost 15 years ago. This afternoon there is a pair of geese grazing in the back yard!
View attachment 446114
I think someone sending you a reminder :heart:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Thursday I thought a bird flew into my patio doors so went to see when tap tap a magpie was tapping on glass door he flew off when he saw me then remi and pip went nuts I looked up and saw mr or mrs magpie sat on my window ledge trying to get the seeds in foraging box just tapping on window flew off before I could get a picture might leave some seeds out for him
Magpies are always stealing things from open windows
(Note to self )