• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden positive change in lone budgie!

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
I have had Yuki, my budgie for 4 years, he is estimated to be around 6 years old. He had a companion who sadly passed away 2 years ago, I haven't been able to get another budgie since. I have always been debating whether to rehome him so he can be with some other budgies, but I haven't. Just for context, he has never been interested in my human companionship, I've always been there for him and respected his boundaries but he showed no interest in stepping up or training other than some simple target training.

That was until 3 days ago, I got home from work and it was like he was switched out with another budgie. He is all over me, much more active, talkative and I've already taught him many tricks. He isn't afraid to fly around all the time and explore places he never did previously!

I was wondering if others had experienced something similar. I always try my absolute best to give him as much attention as possible, with lots of australian natives, foraging options, chop and fun toys. I'm so proud of him, I don't even have words. I'm thinking it could be hormones, but he has been through many cycles and molts without acting like this!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That sounds great! He’s found his new flock & it’s you. :heart:

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Aww, this made me smile. What a happy story. One of my budgies is currently going through a similar transformation, 3 years since we brought him home. He was formerly so skittish that he could only stay on our fingers for a few seconds, and couldn’t stand to be near us. He gradually built up his confidence and now flies to us on his own. Annoyingly, it’s usually to nip/hump our hands, but we’re working on it!

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Aww, this made me smile. What a happy story. One of my budgies is currently going through a similar transformation, 3 years since we brought him home. He was formerly so skittish that he could only stay on our fingers for a few seconds, and couldn’t stand to be near us. He gradually built up his confidence and now flies to us on his own. Annoyingly, it’s usually to nip/hump our hands, but we’re working on it!
haha they can be like that sometimes! at least you're a 'safe' space now ;)
with yuki it wasn't gradual at all, from one day to the next? they're interesting little friends