• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker parrot clogged preen gland

Orxxix

Moving in
Real Name
Leticia Robleto
I went to the vet today to get my birds preen gland checked out. The vet tried to push whatever was in it out and prescribed Meloxidyl and enrofloxacin. I’ve had bad experiences with vets in the past when they prescribed baytril for my baby and this caused her chest to turn almost black and she was very lethargic. I stopped it immediately. Are these prescriptions necessary for what my bird went in to be seem for?

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Meloxicam is a fine pain reliever in birds. Enroflocin is a broad spectrum antibiotic used in many birds. Myself personally enroflocin isn't my favorite antibiotic in birds, it can cause some stomach upset , but so can other antibiotics, it can cause a secondary yeast overgrowth, but again so can other antibiotics. Something to watch out for. But yes, it is an appropriate antibiotic used in birds.

Can you share how old is your bird? What does the bird eat ? Diet can play a role in preen gland health, if the diet is lacking proper nutrition. Especially if low in vitamin A , vitamin A is best from diet foods like sweet potato, peppers, leafy greens, and other veggies or it's in pellets.

Sometimes preen glands get impacted and infected. Treating with med's d vet prescribed and healthy diet can help resolve. Sometimes this can be because of cancer in the preen gland , we had a member with a different species that was the case , and I have heard of it a few other times ..it is more rare , and not saying it just to freak you out , but just so that you are aware. Hopefully you sweetie is the more normal case and fully recovers!

Orxxix

Moving in
Real Name
Leticia Robleto
My Quaker is 8 years old possible female. Main diet is Tops pellets with some fresh fruits and veggies. They formed this about 1 weeks ago

Orxxix

Moving in
Real Name
Leticia Robleto
Would it be best I just avoid the medication?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My cocky had a blocked and rather swollen preening gland (has happened a few times now since I have had him) and I was able to sort it out for him with gentle massage and warm compresses a few times each day, he hated me for it the first time (as he did not want me touching him) but he was also very new to me and unsure of me, the following incidents he has been less upset at me for massaging and warming up with a warm damp cloth.

The vet in my case did not offer meds as they said there appeared to be no discomfort and there was no infection, they told me to watch it and bring him back if it got red, hot or any worse.

If your bird has an infection or is in pain then avoiding the meds the vet prescribed is probably not the best idea.

Orxxix

Moving in
Real Name
Leticia Robleto
There may be pain but they didn’t mention any infection which is why I was confused when I googled the one that’s used for respiratory illness. That’s what prompted me to seek advice

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I would follow your vets advice, they saw your bird and are trained at helping birds. I'm sure there is some discomfort, and pain meds aren't going to hurt. If they felt there was infection, then antibiotics are needed.

Like Shez shared warm compress is often helpful.

Glad to hear if such great diet. And great getting your friend checked out by vet.
I hope you will keep sharing updates. Hopefully feeling better soon

Orxxix

Moving in
Real Name
Leticia Robleto
How it started vs how it’s looking now. I feel like its gotten bigger. Going back in for a follow up Saturday but it’s concerning. Have been giving the medication as recommended

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Gosh that is big and looks uncomfortable, I'm glad you sought treatment and have a follow up. It's good they haven't started to mutilate it or pick at it.
How's your bird doing? Eating and drinking ok?
Had the previously been plucking back? Or is that newer?
Hugs to you and your quaker

Orxxix

Moving in
Real Name
Leticia Robleto
She eats and drinks fine. It didn’t seem to cause any discomfort before but now it does when I touch it lightly. It’s gotten bigger I’ll update photo here. I’m not sure what to do. I think maybe it needs to be drained

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Doesn't look happy in that pic. Let your vet know, ask if you can text your earlier phot and new photo and what you should do

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You can hold a nice wash cloth dosked in warm water and I add a few drops if betadine to the water , soak the wash cloth in the very warm water betadine and hold in the preen gland until the wash cloth is cool and relat 4 times a day . Warm compress can help. But I am worried and vet need to know how things are getting more swollen and red

Orxxix

Moving in
Real Name
Leticia Robleto
I will keep trying that. Going in tomorrow hoping for a good outcome