• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our parrotlets won't touch vegetables or fruits

Moritz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Moritz Keller
Dear bird lovers,

My wife and I adopted two parrotlets from the animal shelter in November last year. They were found abandoned in a box in a trash can. We love them dearly and are delighted to provide them with a new home.

However, two things have proven to be quite challenging with these two stubborn little ones, likely due to their age and sad past: healthy eating habits and taming. Since healthy eating is more important to us, I'll start by asking about their diet.

Merlin and Tori have not touched anything but seeds since their arrival. We are well aware that this is not healthy. Here's what we've tried so far:

• Offering various fruits and vegetables: apples, bananas, pomegranate seeds, kiwi, lettuce, broccoli, carrots, etc.
  • Offering only fruits/vegetables in the morning: we even tried this until late afternoon (which we wouldn't usually do for fear of them starving), but they didn't touch any of the food.
  • Mixing grated carrots/apples with seeds: They expertly pick out the seeds. Some carrot does stick to their beak, but as soon as we offer carrots without seeds for a day, they won't touch it.
  • Offering fruits/vegetables in different sizes and shapes, hanging, on the ground, or in a bowl.
  • Trying the food in front of them ourselves.
  • Lastly, I had the idea of offering seeds only outside the cage and only offering fruit inside. They have almost the entire day to fly around the room but are only active when they are searching for food. My idea was that although they could get seeds, they would at least have some movement and might be more likely to go for the fruit if they were too lazy to move. The result: They didn't touch any of the fruit, were very loud all day, fought a lot (which is very rare for them), flew outside, and couldn't find their beloved seeds. Instead, they caused a lot of damage to the wallpaper. We tried this for a few days, but had to give up because otherwise they would have destroyed the entire room in a week.
So, we're at a loss :D Do you have any ideas?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried freeze dried veggies? Sometimes the texture of fresh is not palatable.

Also sometimes offering large chunks, like on a skewer, can be enticing.

Some other options:

If they won't eat any vegetables, I would look into adding a multivitamin or pellets to the diet. Most seed mixes are deficient in a key nutrients that birds need, so adding one of these can help bridge gaps while you work on it. My Jardine's took several years to eat veggies so I know the struggle!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
All my birds have taken to freeze dried vegetables right away. And then once they're eating those, I start throwing in some fresh vegetables. You can also try making birdie bread and adding pellets and vegetables to that too.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried showing them fruits & veggies are safe to eat? Parrots often need to see you eat, or fake eat, them. So take a bite of apple, or fake taking a bite, then hand the bird a bite (not the same piece you ate off of tho). Make umm good sounds. Mixed veggies....put some in a bowl. You eat a carrot, pea, etc. Then hand bird one.

Moritz

Real Name
Moritz Keller
Have you tried showing them fruits & veggies are safe to eat? Parrots often need to see you eat, or fake eat, them. So take a bite of apple, or fake taking a bite, then hand the bird a bite (not the same piece you ate off of tho). Make umm good sounds. Mixed veggies....put some in a bowl. You eat a carrot, pea, etc. Then hand bird one.

Yes I do that every time, when I hand them veggies. Also tried mixed veggies.

Have you tried freeze dried veggies?

Good idea, haven't tried that yet. And I'll start to add Multivitamin / Pellets immediately. Thank you for your help. Every further suggestions are highly appreciated!

Moritz

Real Name
Moritz Keller
Have you tried freeze dried veggies? Sometimes the texture of fresh is not palatable.
Do you make them yourself? Or can you recommend any products?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't have a freeze dryer so I can't make them myself. There are a few companies that offer them. I usually use Texas Freeze Dried Naturals. Here's a list I compiled a while ago: