• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel found his voice!

RaichuMGS

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys,

we picked up a new cockatiel on Wednesday and yesterday and this morning he’s really found his voice! He’s constantly what I can only describe as “yelling”, but not sure if he’s after something or just protesting.
He’s not comfortable with us going into the cage right now or tame enough to take out so just wondering what to do.
At the moment whenever he’s yelling we just chat back at him. Should we sit by the cage and talk when he does it or get his attention with a toy or treat?
Thanks!
Raichu

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would try talking to him when he’s not yelling. Look up flock calling cockatiel videos online. I bet that’s what he’s doing unless he’s actually hungry. How old is he & was he weaned?

Free bird

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys,

we picked up a new cockatiel on Wednesday and yesterday and this morning he’s really found his voice! He’s constantly what I can only describe as “yelling”, but not sure if he’s after something or just protesting.
He’s not comfortable with us going into the cage right now or tame enough to take out so just wondering what to do.
At the moment whenever he’s yelling we just chat back at him. Should we sit by the cage and talk when he does it or get his attention with a toy or treat?
Thanks!
Raichu
Was your tiel hand raised?
If it was then maybe it wants your attention, that's the only time my tiel screams loudly, it's a flock call, calling out to the flock (me) to let him out the cage