• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a potential problem for the Green Cheek Conure?

h4l1.png

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tarik
Maybe I'm a little boring with constant questions, but simply this is a fear of mine, because I already lost a parrot that was 8 years old, and I want to get to know more about potential problems and research more parrots.

3 weeks ago I changed my parrot's food from seeds to pellets. She switched to pellets literally on the second day without any problems and was eating pellets normally. However, in the last 2-3 days, I noticed that she is eating, but in smaller quantities, because she has chopped pellets left in her daily food bowl, I don't know what the reason is. I saw her eating, her behavior is normal, even more playful and full of energy.

Now, is it just a momentary situation with the food, a change of season, some stress (which is not really possible because he has a huge cage, he is often outside, he is great in the summer...) or something similar.

Soon they will get another friend (I am thinking about whether to buy a male or a female because if I happen to have babies, due to the work of all of us in the house, we will not be able to feed them by hand)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
The best way to know how she is eating and the state of her health is to weigh her regularly.
Get a gram scale and weigh her every week at the same time of the day.
If she has lost more than 10 percent of her weight, then you can be concerned about a potential problem.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Maybe you should give her a few seeds with her pellets. Apparently all was well until you made the switch.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Your not boring at all

I am not saying my ways perfect at all and everyone does and will do stuff differently
But I give pellets in bowl normally they get veggies/sprouting seeds about 2/3 when they go back into cage I then clean bowls and put fresh pellets in for night and morning at about 4/5ish
They have a few foraging toys that as seeds in nutiberries avicakes freeze dry mix either vegetables or fruit banana chips nuts mix dry fruit mix millet papaya trying to think what else i put in that gets filled about 6/7/8 at night keeps them quiet in a morning haha

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Very hard to say without knowing the actual volume of food being eaten. Agreed that weight is a good indicator. How do the poops look?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Remi sometimes eats loads sometimes eats bits pip will eat everything maybe it’s just like us sometimes we are starving other days we aren’t

h4l1.png

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tarik
Very hard to say without knowing the actual volume of food being eaten. Agreed that weight is a good indicator. How do the poops look?
However, this was a false alarm. I found out that he doesn't want to eat the pellets that I grind completely. She simply wants them to be a little bigger, probably because it's easier for her to eat. I weighed her for the first time today. She is about 7 months old and weighs 74g - she doesn't know how grams are converted in America, sorry

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Grams are universal; we also weigh birds in grams :) Just keep an eye on her weight. If she loses more than 10% (7-8g) that can indicate an issue.