• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there hope?

Cricket24

Meeting neighbors
Hello, i am an experienced bird breeder and rearer. However, i have not come across this before.
I found this baby in the nest box cold and starving. The pair have hatched and fed 2 clutches of 4 and this baby hatched last when i thought the egg was no good.
As it was the last baby of the season i decided to bring it inside.
1st pic is when i brought her inside at 11days old and 2nd pic is yesterday at 18 days old.
I know she shouldnt look like that at 11days old. She is very delayed in development.
Is there any hope for her?
She eats very well every 3hrs and is active and quite noisy when hungry. Very tiny as you can see from the photo.

Attachments

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Yes there hope I am sure there’s always hope someone posted a while back about a baby who was slower in development feathers etc and caught up and did amazing I can’t remember name now though
Keep doing what you are and keep your hopes up

@Pixiebeak @Zara might be able to help

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Many stunted ones can make up the difference in time.
It's always worth investigating possible infection as thats a common cause of stunting... or if you just think neglect
But I'm glad is thriving with you.
Zara does more babies more recently than I have

Cricket24

Meeting neighbors
Yes there hope I am sure there’s always hope someone posted a while back about a baby who was slower in development feathers etc and caught up and did amazing I can’t remember name now though
Keep doing what you are and keep your hopes up

@Pixiebeak @Zara might be able to help
Thank you, i hope so

Cricket24

Meeting neighbors
Many stunted ones can make up the difference in time.
It's always worth investigating possible infection as thats a common cause of stunting... or if you just think neglect
But I'm glad is thriving with you.
Zara does more babies more recently than I have
Thank you, i think the mum has had enough and was spending more and more time out of the box in the days leading up to me taking her out.
I actually thought the baby hadn't changed at all untill i looked back on some photos comparing day 1 to day 8.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is really important to have all the conditions perfect: warmth, humidity and food. Having these right will give you and the little one the best chance of success.

I had a lovebird chick like this, not stunted in the usual way of enlarged head and small wings, but a slow grower in which they grew incredibly slower compared to their clutch mates and other birds of their species in general. She also weaned 3 times later - she is the pale bird in my profile picture, so there is hope. I have seen others come along with similar situations, some survive and others don't, I do not know exactly what caused the deaths because I can only take peoples word for what was going on and how they were housed and cared for, not all were by experienced people, most were not.

Seeing a weight increase on the scales every morning on the empty crop will help keep your hope alive as you will see the progress.

Cricket24

Meeting neighbors
It is really important to have all the conditions perfect: warmth, humidity and food. Having these right will give you and the little one the best chance of success.

I had a lovebird chick like this, not stunted in the usual way of enlarged head and small wings, but a slow grower in which they grew incredibly slower compared to their clutch mates and other birds of their species in general. She also weaned 3 times later - she is the pale bird in my profile picture, so there is hope. I have seen others come along with similar situations, some survive and others don't, I do not know exactly what caused the deaths because I can only take peoples word for what was going on and how they were housed and cared for, not all were by experienced people, most were not.

Seeing a weight increase on the scales every morning on the empty crop will help keep your hope alive as you will see the progress.
Thank you, i hope i have everything perfect. She is still going strong and eating well.
She is 9 grams on an empty crop. 7 grams when i brought her inside.
I am trying not to get my hopes up actually. She is a little fighter and i'll be really sad if she doesnt make it.
Do you think her eyes will open?

Attachments

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:heart2: come on little baby come on strong :heart2:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you think her eyes will open?
My bird that grew slower, her eyes opened when she visually looked the amount of days they usually open their eyes rather than when she was that many days old.

When feeding, try to be as quick as possible to minimize time out of the brooder.
Check all food with a thermometer every time.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Getting more fluffy? Looks like :)

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Wow you are so brave! Looks like you’re doing a great job!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Come on little one grow strong

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
12 grams today. Cricket is doing so well. She's very active almost climbing off my hand and trying to walk around.
She is a violet turquoise cinnamon, maybe sf and a female. (green cheek conure)
Love the 2nd pic!! Most of my photos are blurry because she won't keep still long enough!
Yay cricket so gorgeous keep growing big and strong

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Looking good. Looks like their eyes are going to start opening :)

Remember to keep the conditions steady, and minimum time out of the brooder until they are feathered.