• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello looking for some tips

emd

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello ,
I just joined today to get some tips on my African Grey . His name is Max . I inherited him when my mom passed away in 2019 . He is approximately 25-27 years old . I forgot exactly when she got him . Max has quite a few bad habits that I have no idea how to break . He was never taken out of his cage often . So for his own safety and ours ( we have other pets ) he stays in his cage . He does not like change . We tried to get him into a nicer cage . He would not go in . He also does not want any new toys . He has a few in there that he loves and that’s it . He also has a little bird bath that he enjoys . He makes this high pitch chirp that is beyond irritating . After he does it repeatedly he then says SHUT UP .. mimicking my mom and my grandma ( whom he lived with ) he also bites on his cage which also makes an annoying sound . Aside from me losing my patience and yelling at him which I do not want to do as I know this is giving him attention , which is not the right attention he should be getting . I have tried to ignore him … sometimes it works sometimes it doesn not . I am newly retired so I am home more with him and also have my young grandchildren 2xs a week there . Any tips on how to break this habit . When we first inherited him he quickly adapted to our schedule with our dogs . He wants to eat by 4 pm have his cage cleaned and covered . If we do not abide my his wishes lol he will make those sounds and say good night max go to sleep over and over ( the talking is fine it’s the 2 noises that drive us insane ) we are also not allowed to watch tv in the living room after he is asleep . He doesn’t like when I play music either . I’m not sure if this is because my mom and grandma constantly left the tv on for him wether he was awake or covered that tv was on . Any recommendations? What we should be doing , not doing . He loves when the living room is empty . He will make his nice birdie sounds and talk .

Rosedm07

Real Name
Donna
Hi! You're right that yelling is the wrong kind of attention. Try praising him every time he makes those "nice birdie sounds." I'd also recommend talking to him whenever you come into the room (and every time you return home after being away). Birds are flock animals & do need socialization. Lots of praise and a friendly voice go a long way. Ignoring him or just forgetting to acknowledge that he is there as you go about your day will just cause him to isolate himself more. As for the music, did your mom listen to different types music than you? If so, try playing some of her favorites. Otherwise, try introducing music at low volume during feeding time. He may come to enjoy the association of food & music. Good luck!

Reactions: emd

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
CAG's tend to not like change. Try placing the new cage where he can see it & then move him into it after several days or weeks. Explain everything to him. This your new cage, etc. As for toys same thing. Set them close by & let him see they are not harmful. Let hm see you touching the cage, toys, etc.

As for toys our CAG prefers toys she can pick up, hold, toss. She also prefers toys that are plastic or acrylic. One of her favorites are a set of baby stacking cups. You can also place treats in them, stack them & set them on the cage floor.

Our CAG hates to be in the living room, where our TV is. So she is in the dining room, but she can still see & hear us in the living room.

Our CAG likes to have me do calling. Basically she whistles a tune or says a phrase & I am to respond. We do it back & forth several times. Ours goes like this....she whistles a tune I made to call in my Purple Martin colony years ago. So she does the whistle & I say "call the birdies". She will say "call the birdies" & I do the whistle. It's much better than the annoying sound they can make. I'm guessing it's along drawn out screech, like fingers nails on a chalk board? So if you can come up with a not so annoying phrase with a respond word or whistle it may work & he'll stop the annoying sounds.

You should also figure out how to give him some out of cage time. At least an hour each day. Pen up your other pets & let him out to stretch & flap his wings. Our CAG goes in her cage on command. I even taught her a hand single to go in her cage. I flip my hand & say go in yr cage. If I just flip my hand she knows she's to go in. CAG's are super intelligent & can learn to do many things. Keep your command words the same, so as not to confuse him.

Reactions: emd

emd

Hi! You're right that yelling is the wrong kind of attention. Try praising him every time he makes those "nice birdie sounds." I'd also recommend talking to him whenever you come into the room (and every time you return home after being away). Birds are flock animals & do need socialization. Lots of praise and a friendly voice go a long way. Ignoring him or just forgetting to acknowledge that he is there as you go about your day will just cause him to isolate himself more. As for the music, did your mom listen to different types music than you? If so, try playing some of her favorites. Otherwise, try introducing music at low volume during feeding time. He may come to enjoy the association of food & music. Good luck!
Thank you . I will try that . Now that I’m home .. alone during the day except when the grandkids are here , he’s the only one I have to talk to lol we all say hello to him when we come home and goodbye .. he gives us a kiss and says byeeee . As for the music I don’t know if this is possible but he did not have a great life with my mom , he was ignored for years as she had health , substance and mental issues . When my grandma was alive and had him she got super annoyed with him and kept him in another room . So I’m not sure if hearing the music she listened to would cause him to act out even more . He starts out ok with the music then he wants it off . But I will try different things and lots more praise like you suggested . Thank you !

emd

CAG's tend to not like change. Try placing the new cage where he can see it & then move him into it after several days or weeks. Explain everything to him. This your new cage, etc. As for toys same thing. Set them close by & let him see they are not harmful. Let hm see you touching the cage, toys, etc.

As for toys our CAG prefers toys she can pick up, hold, toss. She also prefers toys that are plastic or acrylic. One of her favorites are a set of baby stacking cups. You can also place treats in them, stack them & set them on the cage floor.

Our CAG hates to be in the living room, where our TV is. So she is in the dining room, but she can still see & hear us in the living room.

Our CAG likes to have me do calling. Basically she whistles a tune or says a phrase & I am to respond. We do it back & forth several times. Ours goes like this....she whistles a tune I made to call in my Purple Martin colony years ago. So she does the whistle & I say "call the birdies". She will say "call the birdies" & I do the whistle. It's much better than the annoying sound they can make. I'm guessing it's along drawn out screech, like fingers nails on a chalk board? So if you can come up with a not so annoying phrase with a respond word or whistle it may work & he'll stop the annoying sounds.

You should also figure out how to give him some out of cage time. At least an hour each day. Pen up your other pets & let him out to stretch & flap his wings. Our CAG goes in her cage on command. I even taught her a hand single to go in her cage. I flip my hand & say go in yr cage. If I just flip my hand she knows she's to go in. CAG's are super intelligent & can learn to do many things. Keep your command words the same, so as not to confuse him.
Yes max definitely hates change, I can relate lol . I will try the different toys too .I have some of those stacking cups in the toy box . He does like to be in our kitchen more I’m noticing . It’s still a little too cold for him to stay outside for some fresh air . I tell him to call his birdie friends lol . The noise that he makes sounds like when your smoke alarm needs a new battery and it makes that one short beep sound .. multiple times .. but very high pitched . If I’m close to him it hurts my ears . It’s not something new either . He never liked me when my mom had him . Every time I went near the cage he tried to bite me and made that sound . The biting on the cage is also for attention and it’s a very annoying sound as well . He loves my husband . Always has . But we have come along way in our relationship. I can pet his head and his beak . He wants me to boop him on the head which I gently do . And he doesn’t bite me
I’m scared to try the cage again lol we left it open for a few days and tried to get him in and it didn’t go well , then we got him in and he freaked so we let him go right back in his old cage and he was happy .
I do have a spare room now so my husband and I can seclude ourselves in there with him to get let him out . I didn’t even think to do that . Thank you for all the helpful tips !

emd

He loves the stacking cups lol he’s been playing with them for a while now