• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got to see other birds

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
So a unique opportunity presented itself to me at my place of employment out of all places. I work in healthcare in a largely geriatric based specialty. One of our patients was chatting with another employee here who sits across the aisle from me about their recent surgery and difficulty being able to keep up. They mentioned having problems watching their grandkids and with their birds. Of course at work I’m known as the crazy bird lady so my coworker pointed me out. I chatted with the patient for a while. In the end I did run it by my boss beforehand to ensure I wasn’t violating any HIPAA or personal practice laws or anything, but I offered to come help with anything needed for the birds. I disclosed our recent unexpected bird death and how my household is under quarantine.

So Tuesday came this week. I had my husband take care of my bird room in the morning. I made sure I was clean and fresh clothes and went over. I had the most lovely time. I got the cages cleaned, met all the tiels and chatted with the person about all different topics. I met the sweetest little gal who was attached to me like glue and I just wanted to share pictures of her. I’ll be going over to help out weekly until they are back on their feet

No worries when I got home my clothes immediately went to the washing machine and I took a shower before going anywhere near my own birds.

IMG_6848.jpeg
IMG_6849.jpeg
IMG_6851.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw what a cutie pie and that's lovely that your able to help.

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
Aw what a cutie pie and that's lovely that your able to help.
She was super cute and so sweet. They have a bonded male/female pair and we talked about how they didn't know how to stop them from laying. They have been bonded for 10+ years so they cannot be separated. I got some dummy eggs ordered and will be giving the package to them next time I am over to help. The one pictured is one of their babies that was kept. We had the best snuggle. Navi would not be pleased to know I am giving scritches away to other tiels :lol:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I hope that little cutie accidentally ended up in your pocket oops :sneaky:

it’s so lovely you could help them out needs more kindest in this world obviously not stealing their bird :rofl:

I am also know at work as the crazy bird lady

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
I hope that little cutie accidentally ended up in your pocket oops :sneaky:

it’s so lovely you could help them out needs more kindest in this world obviously not stealing their bird :rofl:

I am also know at work as the crazy bird lady
I told them if she ended up missing they knew who to call :laughing2:

I’m hoping the dummy eggs help them out. I really don’t know much about breeding but they expressed they want it to stop. They’ve been just allowing them to lay and then giving the chicks away when the time comes. Mom is currently on 3 eggs now. So there will be more babies soon unfortunately.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I told them if she ended up missing they knew who to call :laughing2:

I’m hoping the dummy eggs help them out. I really don’t know much about breeding but they expressed they want it to stop. They’ve been just allowing them to lay and then giving the chicks away when the time comes. Mom is currently on 3 eggs now. So there will be more babies soon unfortunately.
So you are going to have three new babies :lol:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Zara maybe able to give you advise to give them

after babies are reared and out of nest maybe tell them to remove nest and change cage around but as I said @Zara good at this oh and @pixebeak

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
So you are going to have three new babies :lol:
Absolutely the heck not :laughing2: I didn't even know they had babies when I first volunteered to help LOL.

I am not sure how open to advise this person is. They have had cockatiels their whole lives and is now 65+. They predominately eat seeds and their cages are to small. I know age isn't an excuse for not keeping up with evolving care standards but I just don't think they know better. But really one thing at a time I feel might be best. I suggested the dummy eggs when they expressed they were getting overwhelmed with constant babies as they have gotten older. Since they were open to it I helped place an order online since they didn't know how to order something. But if they are open to further suggestions I will definitely pass along any information!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Well I hope slowly baby steps you can help them
Absolutely the heck not :laughing2: I didn't even know they had babies when I first volunteered to help LOL.

I am not sure how open to advise this person is. They have had cockatiels their whole lives and is now 65+. They predominately eat seeds and their cages are to small. I know age isn't an excuse for not keeping up with evolving care standards but I just don't think they know better. But really one thing at a time I feel might be best. I suggested the dummy eggs when they expressed they were getting overwhelmed with constant babies as they have gotten older. Since they were open to it I helped place an order online since they didn't know how to order something. But if they are open to further suggestions I will definitely pass along any information!

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
Well I hope slowly baby steps you can help them
I am not sure how long they will need my help until they are able to care for them themselves, but I am hoping to make at least a small difference. Even if it’s only the dummy eggs or if it’s just helping through a tough time that’s okay. I’ll share pictures when I can in this thread of the tiels! Maybe share my mugshot when I steal my new little friend too (kidding) :rofl:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am not sure how long they will need my help until they are able to care for them themselves, but I am hoping to make at least a small difference. Even if it’s only the dummy eggs or if it’s just helping through a tough time that’s okay. I’ll share pictures when I can in this thread of the tiels! Maybe share my mugshot when I steal my new little friend too (kidding) :rofl:
We will see you on news :rofl:

even if it’s just this once I am sure your kindest has made a massive difference

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I love how you asked your bosses

it’s so hard isn’t it we had a raffle at work and one of residents daughters won a massage she gave it to me I asked because we aren’t allowed to accept gifts

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
I love how you asked your bosses

it’s so hard isn’t it we had a raffle at work and one of residents daughters won a massage she gave it to me I asked because we aren’t allowed to accept gifts
I don’t want to violate anyone’s privacy or lose my job. I don’t work in long term care but a generally geriatric field. My boss said as long as I didn’t get any personal information out of their chart and the patient willingly gave the information to me there was no issue.

That’s a bummer about your workplace. People bring gifts all the time at my job and we get to accept them. There’s constantly food being brought by people that we put out as an eat at your own risk lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That is very kind of you to go over and clean the cages and help out.

I am not sure how open to advise this person is. They have had cockatiels their whole lives and is now 65+. They predominately eat seeds and their cages are to small. I know age isn't an excuse for not keeping up with evolving care standards but I just don't think they know better.
I agree, and I think that given they are talking to you about the issues they are having and ordering dummy eggs, that they do want to make changes.
When they started caring for birds I bet they were giving optimum care - cage, premium seed. It's just now we know better, we also know how dangerous excessive egg laying can be (especially on an all seed diet) and I don't think we should be too hard on those folks. Just like in years to come, maybe there will be new standards for bird husbandry and not all of us who have birds today will keep up with them.

As for the dummy eggs, simply switch eggs laid. Discard real eggs and put a dummy in it's place.
But remember to tell the person to note when the eggs were laid and only allow the bird to brood for up to and no more than 21 days since the last egg laid per clutch.
Eggs in a clutch are laid 24-48 hours apart (closer to 48hours), so if a few days go by with no egg, and then an egg is laid, it is a new clutch.
When removing eggs, shuffle the cage, move food, water, perches, add in a new toy, rotate the cage or move the cage if possible.
Maybe write all this down for them?

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
That is very kind of you to go over and clean the cages and help out.

I agree, and I think that given they are talking to you about the issues they are having and ordering dummy eggs, that they do want to make changes.
When they started caring for birds I bet they were giving optimum care - cage, premium seed. It's just now we know better, we also know how dangerous excessive egg laying can be (especially on an all seed diet) and I don't think we should be too hard on those folks. Just like in years to come, maybe there will be new standards for bird husbandry and not all of us who have birds today will keep up with them.

As for the dummy eggs, simply switch eggs laid. Discard real eggs and put a dummy in it's place.
But remember to tell the person to note when the eggs were laid and only allow the bird to brood for up to and no more than 21 days since the last egg laid per clutch.
Eggs in a clutch are laid 24-48 hours apart (closer to 48hours), so if a few days go by with no egg, and then an egg is laid, it is a new clutch.
When removing eggs, shuffle the cage, move food, water, perches, add in a new toy, rotate the cage or move the cage if possible.
Maybe write all this down for them?
I think you are spot on! This person is likely giving wonderful care for standards 50 years ago. I don’t fault them at all. You don’t know better if you don’t know. It’s clear they love their birds very much. They expressed multiple times they worry about what will happen after they pass to their birds and talked lovingly about the birds they’ve had over the years.

Thank you much!! I will write this all down and ask if they are open to a little advice when I go to drop off the dummy eggs since they are supposed to be delivered tomorrow!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I don’t want to violate anyone’s privacy or lose my job. I don’t work in long term care but a generally geriatric field. My boss said as long as I didn’t get any personal information out of their chart and the patient willingly gave the information to me there was no issue.

That’s a bummer about your workplace. People bring gifts all the time at my job and we get to accept them. There’s constantly food being brought by people that we put out as an eat at your own risk lol.
We are allowed to accept chocolates etc for the staff shared but we aren’t allowed to accept gifts that are just for one staff and definitely obviously not money

if a resident dies and family fetch in thank you gifts for separate people we are allowed them but mangers have to check it’s no more than £20 gift

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
We are allowed to accept chocolates etc for the staff shared but we aren’t allowed to accept gifts that are just for one staff and definitely obviously not money

if a resident dies and family fetch in thank you gifts for separate people we are allowed them but mangers have to check it’s no more than £20 gift
That makes sense. Patients bring in gifts for the doctors all the time here, so just a tad different.

One time we had a patient bring a doctor hard boiled eggs that they stored in their coat pocket until they got here, that story still gets me laughing every time lol!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
That makes sense. Patients bring in gifts for the doctors all the time here, so just a tad different.

One time we had a patient bring a doctor hard boiled eggs that they stored in their coat pocket until they got here, that story still gets me laughing every time lol!
Haha I bet they were like oh thank you very much haha :rofl:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

I suppose they have to make a clear line we had a resident die once and his wife wrote us all cards (well her favourite carers ) about 5 of us got them with a £500 cheque in there I told her please take it back and give it to a charity for dementia or something close to her husband heart told her my gifts knowing that I made such a hard time for her and him little bit more easier which she wrote in card we all told manger and she agreed to give it to a charity and understand
I hate anything like that I am doing my job and there because I love it and I struggle with being praised about anything

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe bookmark AA for them and they can visit the site and through the different threads get info that will help them, and as it’s at their own viewing time, they won’t feel as guilty and embarrassed that they were not meeting all the requirements of the birds. I learned a lot just by doing that without actually joining the the forum.

thank you so much for helping them out! Very lovely gesture, though I’m sure as with most of us, the chance to play with other birdies is always a big plus!! :lol: