• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finding a new lovebird for blanco

Nayablanco

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Naya hachemm
Hi everyone!
Im travelling from canada to lebanon in a month for 4 months and ive tried everything i can to take blanco with me. The issue its going to be very verh expensive since there's either no direct flight or he has to go in the cargo (i wouldnt do that to him). He's very attached to me and doesnt let anyone touch him or play with him except me so I'm very scared about how he's going to react when I leave. I was wondering if I get him a lovebird to keep him company/ replace me while im gone. Im not very experienced with bird so i dont know what to expect will happen. Should i get him one while im here so he can get used to her? Will he forget me? Will he be traumatized? Will he feel better with a new partner? I travelled for 20 days but he wasnt as attached as he is now. I feel like this will be harder on him than me. Please let me know if you've experienced any of this and what uou did to make it work!! Here are some pics of blancotii

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Naya,

I don't think that getting another bird will change how Blanco will feel about you going away for so long. There is nothing you can do about it, except be very patient on your return to start building the trust again.

Where will he be housed? Who will be looking after him? If they can spend lots of time with him, might be good for him to not feel lonely.

Buying a second bird is something you should only do if you want the second bird. Blanco might not like the bird you bring home, or the new bird might not like Blanco. They need to be monitored closely for the first few months of pairing, if they pair, and you won't have time.
You won't even have time to quarantine a new bird before allowing them to introduce themselves to each other, let alone their first interactions.

For now, I do not recommend any new bird until your return.

Are these photos recent? I noticed Blanco is clipped. Maybe you could let his wings grow out next time. It can help not be so fearful of other people and can really boost his wellbeing, physically and mentally.

For your trip, you can prepare some toy bags - sandiwch bags with toys inside to be given periodically while you are away. Make up as many toys or activities that can be stored for later as you can. It does not need to be anything extravegant. A homemade toy, a storebought toy, an older out of rotation toy, a bunch of paper straws, an egg carton, a few pieces of paper, some natural branches with leaves on, a cluster picked off a millet spray wrapped in paper etc You can leave instructions to the caregiver to give large pieces or whole vegetables daily or between the toy days.
If your bird eats chop, you can make up a huge batch and freeze it.

Last edited:

Nayablanco

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Naya hachemm
Hello! Thank you for the reply. I understand but im just worried about him and unsure what to do
My father will stay with him but unfortunately he also has to travel after a while so he will be with my aunt who bought him for me.
He was already clipped when we bought him but i will he sure not to clip them again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe instead of a second bird, you could focus on something like playing videos of other birds for him, see what he likes, and get your Aunt to continue it while you are away, coupled with giving him the pre-prepped toys/activites.