• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caring for a baby Cockatiel

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
Right now, Cotton is 4 weeks old. they're doing amazing! though, I have some questions such as: When should they drink water? When will they start flying? When will they fully get their colors? When should I teach them tricks? What's their gender? I'll have more questions when they're older. Though Cotton really trusts me, and I love them very much!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
When should they drink water?
Baby birds will need water available as soon as you start introducing anything that is not formula. For eg veggies, pellets and seed. Offer just a shallow amount to avoid any accidental drownings.

When will they start flying?
Once their flight feathers have grown and the keratin sheath preened off they will start trying to build strength by flapping wings, and shortly after will try taking flight.

When will they fully get their colors?
After their first moult they will have their adult plumage.

When should I teach them tricks?
Once they are completely fully feathered. Go slow and keep in mind they are still young. Don't over do it, just a few minutes here and there, starting with recall.

What's their gender?
Most can be known by their adult plumage. Those that can't you can DNA test them. If you don't want to wait, you can get a DNA test now.

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
Baby birds will need water available as soon as you start introducing anything that is not formula. For eg veggies, pellets and seed. Offer just a shallow amount to avoid any accidental drownings.

Once their flight feathers have grown and the keratin sheath preened off they will start trying to build strength by flapping wings, and shortly after will try taking flight.

After their first moult they will have their adult plumage.

Once they are completely fully feathered. Go slow and keep in mind they are still young. Don't over do it, just a few minutes here and there, starting with recall.

Most can be known by their adult plumage. Those that can't you can DNA test them. If you don't want to wait, you can get a DNA test now.
Ah, Thank you! I've noticed that Cotton has started to flap their wings frequently. I've also been training Cotton to step up. I've been feeding Cotton seeds, and I'm carefully giving Cotton a wee bit of water with a syringe. I give Cotton two drops before giving them some time to breath. (10 seconds)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Water should be in a bowl not given by a syringe.
The only reason to give water via a syringe is a bird that refuses to drink, is at severe risk of dehydration or is dehydrated.

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
Water should be in a bowl not given by a syringe.
The only reason to give water via a syringe is a bird that refuses to drink, is at severe risk of dehydration or is dehydrated.
Ah, Alright. I'll give Cotton a bowl next time :)