• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

24 Year Old CAG - Needs a Home

XLT_66

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I’m hoping to find a home for our 24 year old Congo African Grey, Buzz(ard).

He came home to us when he was tiny and was hand fed back when I was in high school and was very socialized. He then spent the next 23.5 years with my parents in a busy house full of other pets that led to him spending more time in his cage than anyone would have preferred. He was in our living room, watching TV, participating in everyone’s lives but rarely handled or out of his cage. He is a talker, with a knack for sounding exactly like my Dad and picks up words and new phrases quickly. He’s used to music, guitar picking, and knows a variety of tunes.

In July 2023, I adopted him from my mom who could no longer care for him. I’ve worked with him a lot, he’s out of his cage every day now and I’ve been working on some clicker training. That being said, I can scratch his head and beak but have yet to get him comfortable enough to step up or let him handle him in any way. I believe this barrier could be broken down quickly by someone with enough time.

Unfortunately, with two boys in competitive sports and both my wife and I working from home - having a parrot just isn’t a match for my family I also think we may just sort of be too loud for him and get him worked up sometimes when the boys are being rowdy or when I end up yelling at the kids for whatever reason. I wanted to give it a good try to see how it could work but I just don’t think this can be a 20-30 year commitment that it needs to be…and, well, the wife says it’s time.

We are in the Austin, TX area. Please reach out if you or someone you know are interested or can help with recommending a rescue that could make sense. It’s important that he going to the right place and hoping the last place.

There will be an adoption fee that will be donated to a local animal rescue once finalized.

Attachments

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I hope you find him an amazing home good luck

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
Beautiful bird. I wish I could adopt him. But with four parakeets and a Meyer's parrot, our hands are full.