• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travelling with birds and where to stay

opalwings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
shiva
Hello!
I would really value some of your thoughts and opinions. I have a budgie and Linnie and we are very bonded, I have never left them. While my husband and I would like to travel, we have only gone a couple of places over the years— driving a few hours with the birds, and staying in an air bnb home, for a few days. They did so well and had a great time!

we are looking into a birdie resort where we can leave them but in the meantime… I do prefer taking them because a) I can’t live without them, and b) they seem to handle it really well, since I am at home and they spend all day with me literally, having me as a constant and all the rituals and tubs we do, seems to make them feel safe, even when in a new place.

My question is, so far we only take them if we can get a private air bnb home, where we have total control over bird safety.
however, in attempting to plan trips, there are times when an apartment or hotel would be more convenient.

i have heard about others taking small birds ti hotels, but never wanted to because of a fear of cleaners coming in and spraying bleach, even if I were to request no cleaning. The other thing that scared me about hotels is… how insulated are the rooms from each other, and since it’s a big building… could birds get sick or worse from people using Teflon in other rooms? Clothing irons, hair dryers, some people even bring cook plates ( it’s not common but my in laws have done it lol). So that freaks me out too and is why I would never risk bringing them to a hotel.

I was considering a hotel that is a cluster of private cottages, but that would only be assuming that I could guarantee 100 percent that they would not clean and stay out if the cottage.

I also found a boutique hotel, a new trend of hotel that actually doesn’t offer cleaning service while you are there, which would be better. However my doubts and paranoia about not being in a separate private building still remain.
Now, we live in a townhome and the birds have been fine with that.

But apartment and condos i do have paranoia about as well. I just worry that there is less control, and that someone next door could be cooking with non stick. Maybe that’s the day someone steam cleans the carpets in the hallway outside, or idk whatever!

However I know people have birds in apartments… so surely I’m being paranoid!

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding traveling with bird childrens, staying in condos, apartments, cottage hotels, hotels that don’t clean, hotels?

I’m fine sticking to private homes for peace of mind even if it limits our options.

also want to mention that I always do research and make sure owners are ok with them and that has been no recent re carpeting or work, glade plugins, all that stuff. One place told me they had scent sticks andi just went in first and cleared them out, before bringing the birds in. I always do a sweep before I bring them anywhere.
Thanks

opalwings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
shiva
One more thing I wanted to mention, is that specifically I also feel paranoid about apartments in older buildings , like Victorian homes or what have you… for some reason I just have this concern that the apartments are not insulated enough from each other? Especially if it’s a home and the owners basically just turned one floor into a separate apartment - it may have a private entrance, but wouldn’t one worry that it may not be fully insulated from the rest of the “house” in regards to fumes?

my husband and I have another property that we would like to stay at as well, however we may be turning part of it into air bnb, which would concern me going to stay with the birds, if the other apartment is occupied. It’s an actual apartment so it should be insulated but, it’s an older building. Even if we only furnished with Teflon free pans etc etc, the occupants could still bring their own items without our knowledge.
I am probably overthinking this but my birds are my life, and I’ve really limited myself by just being paranoid and not going anywhere, lol.
hoping to get some advice from people with experience, because I won’t do anything unless I know others have tried it successfully, if that makes sense…