• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello, I am new!

Budgieluvr

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michele Haddock
Hello all! I’m new by “forced gifting” by my husband. An elderly couple was selling us some furniture to move from Louisiana to Delaware. They were going to be rehoming their budgie pair that have basically been living room decorations. My husbands big ‘ol heart just knew that now that I am a retired Registered Nurse of 32 years and enjoying the peace and quiet and no responsibilities, I’d appreciate him bringing home 2 completely untamed, shaking in terror pair of budgies! I asked him every sort of question, names, age, feeding regimen, have they ever been handled, when was last avian vet check and guess what his answer was? I didn’t ask but aren’t they cute? as they are huddled together clinging to the top corner shaking in terror. Just him trying to carry their cage into the house they were flapping everywhere and scared to death! SERIOUSLY? I am a dedicated pet owner and very responsible with my animals and its expensive. Its a permanent child in my home—animals never should be decorations or outside on a leash…oops! I diversed Waaay off topic! Anyway, my husband texted the man and tried to ask some question but they spoke little English. He said they call them Blue bird and Yellow bird…because there is a blue one and a yellow one…okay yeah decorations remember…Luckily my parents had birds when we were growing up and Blue actually is a male and yellow is definitely female. Anyway again, they were on Walmart’s Wild bird seeds. So now I am waiting for all of my different organic seeds I ordered to come in. I have already started dicing fresh veggies and adding to their established food to begin my weaning to an all natural seasonal diet. However…my question about pellets…do I incorporate crushed Parrot pellets or are there small parrot pellets for budgies? Thanks everyone in advance because I will have lots of questions!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
God bless you..... sounds like the budgies will be in good hands.

I know nothing about budgies (little about other things, see my screen name?). I do know that my amazon's pellets also come in "crumbles" if that helps.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Adding fresh foods is a great idea, remember to always allow budgies some seed in their diet as they are mainly seed eaters in the wild. Hopefully soon your new family members will settle in well and learn to trust you.

Budgieluvr

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michele Haddock
The rest of my seeds come today! Also, I found freeze dried bell peppers! Red, yellow and green!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to Avian Avenue :)

Many pellets come in small sizes, but as you suspected, you can crush up larger pellets if there's no small ones available. Tropican, harrisons, zupreem, psittacus all make small sizes :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome!!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome! Your husband sounds like a good man.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
:welcomesign: To the avenue
I use Zupreem budgie pellets and you don’t have to crush them. I also think it is healthy for them to only eat specifically budgie made pellets. Good job with the veggies! Are you going to rename them?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello: And :welcomesign: